Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Liquor licences


​Remove a hotel licence

We treat an application to remove a hotel liquor licence to another location as if it's an application for a new hotel liquor licence.

Before you apply

You can't lodge an application to remove your hotel liquor licence until you consult your local community.

This means that either before or within 2 working days of lodging your application you must:

  • Give a full copy of your application to the NSW Police Local Area Command nearest to your proposed licensed premises
  • Notify the local council
  • Notify any building within 100 metres of the boundary of your proposed licensed premises
  • Notify any building on land adjoining the boundary of your premises' property
  • Attach a site notice to your premises so passers-by can see it easily. The site notice must remain until we decide your application.

You must also complete a FM2010 Category B Community Impact Statement (CIS) (PDF, 272KB) before you apply to remove a hotel liquor licence.

How much will it cost?

It costs $2,500 to remove a hotel liquor licence.

How long will it take?

About 12 to 16 weeks.

Once you lodge a complete application, we'll post it to our online noticeboard for 30 days to give the public a chance to comment.

When the 30-day public submission period is over, you can expect us to determine your application within 8-12 weeks.

However, there will be delays if you fail to respond to our requests for information.

What is a complete application?

  • A completed application form and fee
  • A copy of your community impact statement
  • A current NSW National Police Certificate – for individual applicants
  • An ASIC extract – for corporate applicants
  • A copy of development approval from your local council
  • Evidence of Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) and Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) qualifications
  • A plan of the proposed licensed premises outlined in red. This plan (DOC, 1MB) is a good example.
  • Evidence that you have told neighbouring premises. You must complete and sign this advertising certificate (DOC, 47KB).

You can lodge your application without giving us the above documentation, but your proposal won't progress to a decision without it.

Authorisations for the licence you want to remove

You can't remove authorisations along with a hotel liquor licence. You must make a new application for each liquor licence authorisation to apply to your new licensed premises.

You must conduct a Community Impact Statement 30 days before lodging your application to remove a general bar licence. If you also want to apply for extended trading hours, you must deal with this in your CIS.

Gaming requirements

When you apply to remove a hotel liquor licence you must also think about the impact on any Gaming Machine Entitlements attached to your licence.

Next steps

Apply to remove your hotel liquor licence (PDF, 220​KB).