Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Serving alcohol responsibly


​Frequently asked questions about RSA and competency cards

Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions we get about Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA), the competency card and the interim certificate.

If you need to contact us, call 1300 024 720, Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm, email or visit our office at Level 6, 323 Castlereagh Street, Haymarket NSW 2001. 

    I’ve lost my card or my card was stolen. What do I do?

    Report it to the police and to Liquor & Gaming NSW (email us at

    You can download a digital RSA/RCG Competency Card via the Service NSW App.  Visit Service NSW for more information

    To get a replacement card, apply using the CC0500 Replacement RSA/RCG competency card form (PDF, 754KB). It will cost you $30 to get a new card.

    Where’s my card? It hasn’t arrived in the mail.

    Your card will arrive by mail up to four weeks after you have applied for your card at a Service NSW Service Centre. ​

    If it hasn't arrived after four weeks, phone 1300 024 720 or email​ 

    Common reasons why your card has not arrived:

    • Your address is not recorded correctly or is not complete
    • You have moved addresses since doing your course and have not organised a postal redirection
    • There could be a possible competency card print error
    • The competency card was sent to us as a return to sender.

    Call us first to see if we have your card. Our phone number is 1300 024 720​.

    If we don’t have it, you’ll need to get a replacement card using the CC0500 Replacement RSA/RCG competency card form (PDF, 754KB). The replacement card will cost $30.

    I’ve moved. Do I need to tell someone?

    Yes, you do. You can update your details using the ​CC0400 Change of RSA/RCG competency card holder contact details form (PDF, 654KB). There’s no cost to do this.​

    If you also have a digital competency card you can update your contact details in the Service NSW app.

    I haven’t received my card yet – can I still work?

    Yes, you can work on your valid interim certificate for 90 days from the date you completed your course.

    My card's about to expire. How do I renew it?

    ​​​You can renew your card by completing online refresher training from Liquor & Gaming NSW in the competencies you obtained when completing your RSA/RCG training, and paying a renewal fee in the final 90 days before expiry. 

    A reminder notice will be sent to you by SMS and email with the information you need to renew before your card expires. Make sure your correct contact details are recorded. 

    If you have a digital competency card, it will display a renewal reminder.

     Read more about renewing your competency card.

    My card’s expired. Can I still work?

    No. Working with an expired competency card is illegal and you risk getting a fine.

    The details on my card are wrong.

    You can get a replacement card using the CC0500 Replacement RSA/RCG competency card form (PDF, 754KB). The replacement card will cost $30.

    If you’ve legally changed your name, you can get a replacement card using the CC0500 Replacement RSA/RCG competency card form (PDF, 754KB). The replacement card will cost $30. You need to provide evidence of your name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce papers or a change of name certificate.

    Once your details have been changed your digital card will automatically be updated

    What’s the penalty for working without a card?

    If you fail to produce your physical or digital competency card to police or Liquor & Gaming NSW Compliance officers when asked, you risk getting fined. Fines from $55 to $550 for each offence.

    The fines are much higher if you work in the Kings Cross and Sydney CBD precincts

    If you are a licensee and allow staff to work without a valid RSA competency card you risk getting a fine, ranging from $55 to $1,100 for each offence.

    Liqour & Gaming NSW can also cancel or suspend your competency card for up to 12 months. If we can​cel your card, you have to complete RSA training again to get a new card.

    I’ve lost my interim certificate – what do I do?

    Ask your training provider to give you another copy. If you work without your interim certificate, you risk getting a fine.

    Don't wait to get your card. It can take up to four weeks for your physical card to arrive once you visit a Service NSW Service Centre and complete the application process.

    The details on my interim certificate are wrong.

    To change any details — name, date of birth, address — on your interim certificate, use the CC0300 Amendment to RSA/RCG interim certificate form (PDF, 710KB). You have to wait to get your new interim certificate before you can apply for your competency card.

    You will not get your competency card if your name and date of birth are incorrect and/or don’t match your identification documents​.

    What if an employee shows up to work without their card?

    All employees who have duties that involve selling or serving alcohol must have their physical/digital competency card with them at work. If you allow an employee to work without their competency card, you risk getting a fine and so does your employee.

    Do I need to wear the card while working?

    No. However, you should have it easily accessible — such as in your wallet or purse or as a digital competency card on your smartphone — should you need to show it a police officer or a Liquor & Gaming Compliance officer. You will get a fine if you work without your card.

    If you don't have your phone you can log into someone else's using your secure pin code and show your digital licence to an authorised inspector. You do not need to hand over the phone for inspection. 

    I’m a cook/glassie/bouncer/​concierge – do I need a card?

    It depends on what you do. If you serve, sell or supply alcohol, you need to have RSA training and a valid competency card or interim certificate.

    If you’re a cook or chef and you use alcohol in the cooking process, you don’t need a card. However, if you’re a cook or chef and your duties include selling, serving or supplying alcohol — for example, coming out of the kitchen to serve a glass a wine — then you need RSA training and a card or interim certificate.

    If you’re a glassie and your duty is only to collect dirty glasses or schooners, then you do not need RSA training or a card. However, if part of your duties includes serving, selling or supplying liquor, then you need RSA training and a card.

    If you’re a bouncer or security staff, then yes, you need RSA training and a card.

    If you’re the concierge or door staff and your role includes making decisions about whether to allow a patron into the premises depending on their alcohol consumption, then you need RSA training and a card.

    If you’re working at the sign-in desk or checking proof of age — and your duties do not include bouncer or security-type services, serving or supplying of alcohol or making decisions about patron alcohol consumption — then you don’t need RSA training or a card.

    If you work in the high-risk precincts of Kings Cross or Sydney CBD Entertainment, and your duties include serving, selling or supplying alcohol, operating an ID scanner, working as a  bouncer or security staff — then you must have a card.

    I already have an RSA and want to add RCG/Privacy training to my card

    To add RCG training that you've already completed to your card, use the Additional competency endorsement for existing competency card form CCO570 (PDF, 253KB) to add your RCG training. There’s no cost for this. The expiry date for all competencies is five years from the first competency course completed. 

    You don’t need to visit a Service NSW Service Centre as we already have your photo on file. However, while waiting for your new card, you need to carry your existing card and the interim certificate of the course you just attended. If you’re caught working without them, you may get a fine.

    To add Privacy training to your card, use the CC0550 Existing RSA competency card: ​add privacy endorsement form​ (PDF, 689KB). It will cost you $30 to get the new card. Please be aware that the interim certificate for Privacy training is only valid for 28 days. While waiting for your new card, you need to carry your existing card and the interim certificate. If you’re caught working without them, you may get a fine.

    How much does the card cost?

    The cost of the card is included in the cost of the course you attend. The cost of first-time RSA and RCG courses vary between different training organisations.

    There’s no fee for Privacy training, but to have Privacy added to your photo card will cost you $30.

    A replacement card will cost you $30.

    A digital compentency card is free.

    The cost to renew an existing card, which can only be done via Service NSW, is $35.

    Can I work in another state with my card?

    No. Your NSW RSA training and competency card are only valid in NSW.

    However, the statement of attainment document you received from the NSW RSA training provide​r may be recognised in other states and territories. You’ll need to check with the liquor licensing authorities in that state or territory.

    Here are the websites of interstate liquor licensing authorities​.

    I have an older paper certificate – can I still use it?

    No. The last of the older paper certificates for Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) and Responsible Conduct of Gaming (RCG) competencies expired on 30 June 2016.

    If you held an older paper certificate and want to work in the liquor and gaming industries in NSW, you need to complete full first-time course training through an approved training provider and apply for a competency card.

    ​Related links

    ​Find an RSA training course​

    ​Find an RCG training course

    Find your nearest Service NSW centre

    RSA/RCG Competency Card fact sheet (PDF 193KB)