Storing, disposing of and altering machines

    If you want to keep new gaming machines in your venue, dispose of or alter a gaming machine, you must get authorisation. There are 2 ways you can apply for authorisation:

    1. Online

      Apply for authorisation online through Maxgaming's Quickchange website. Maxgaming is the licensed monitoring operator of electronic gaming in NSW.

    2. Email 

      Apply for authorisation by completing either a:

    The licensed gaming machine dealer, seller or technician must also complete and sign their section of the form.

    Note: These forms are being updated soon. Email the completed form gaming.applications@liquorandgaming.nsw.gov.au


    There is a processing fee of $33 (including GST) for each transaction that is submitted and approved via the paper-based form. Fees are direct debited from the account nominated for payment of your Gaming Machine Tax a month after approval.

    Note: From 1 December 2017, the processing fee of $33 (including GST) will increase to $80 (including GST) per transaction, to reflect the cost of processing paper-based forms. Alternatively, you can use Quickchange to apply for authorisation, which charges $67.50 (including GST) per transaction.


    Once your authorised gaming machines have been installed at your venue, they must be connected to the Centralised Monitoring System (CMS). You can also find out how to disconnect from the CMS.

    Disposal of progressive gaming machines or systems

    From 3 July 2015, dispersal of accumulated progressive prizes can be made by one of the following approved methods:

    1. Electronic dispersal through jackpot payments on an authorised progressive device operating in the venue or
    1. Manual dispersal by payment to the Secretary of the Department of Industry (Secretary) or
    1. Alternative method approved by the Authority.

    Manual dispersal amounts made as additional cash payments to players on a winning combination of more than 300 credits on another approved gaming machine in the venue are no longer permitted.

    Payments to the Secretary are to be made by cheque payable to Liquor & Gaming NSW, and sent to GPO Box 7060 SYDNEY NSW 2001. A list of the dispersal numbers and dispersal amounts covered by the cheque must be provided. An indication of payment for the ClubGRANTS Category 3 Fund or for the Community Development Fund should also be provided.

    Records of payments must be retained at the venue for three years and produced on the demand of an inspector.

    Payments to the Secretary can be claimed as a tax deduction. To claim a deduction, venues must submit a Progressive Dispersal Return to Data Monitoring Services (DMS) within 11 days following the completion of the tax assessment quarter. The Progressive Dispersal Return form contains a declaration of payments made to the Secretary and must be signed by the licensee of a hotel, the secretary of a club, or the approved manager of the licensed premises.

    Dispersal amounts authorised for electronic dispersal cannot be claimed separately for tax deduction as these amounts will be automatically deducted as part of the total progressive prizes paid by the venue.

    All progressive dispersals must be completed within six months after the conversion or disposal which triggered the dispersal, unless a later time was approved by the Authority in special circumstances. Any progressive dispersal not processed within the approved timeframe will be referred to Liquor & Gaming NSW's Compliance & Enforcement Division and potential breach action may result.

    View a Progressive Dispersal Return template (PDF, 437KB).

    Read additional information on DMS processing of progressive dispersals​ (PDF, 295KB).

    For further information contact us via cms.reports@liquorandgaming.nsw.gov.au or call 9995 0500.

    Alternatively, contact CMS Data Monitoring Services (DMS) via DMS@max.com.au or call 1800 307 551.


    You can make the payment with a cheque made out to Liquor & Gaming NSW. Please include a list of the dispersal numbers and amounts that is covered by the cheque.

    Send it to: GPO Box 7060, Sydney, NSW 2001

    A record of the payment must be kept at the venue for three years and be made available should an inspector ask to see it.

    Claiming tax deduction

    Payments of accumulated jackpot prizes to the Secretary can be claimed as a tax deduction. 

    To claim a deduction you must submit a Progressive Dispersal Return form (PDF, 437KB) to Data Monitoring Services (DMS) within 11 days following your quarterly tax assessment; the form must be signed by the licensee of a hotel or the secretary of a club or the approved manager of the licensed premises.

    Frequently asked questions

    This DMS Additional Information document (PDF, 295KB) may answer some of your frequently asked questions. ​

    ​If you have a problem connecting to the CMS, call the DMS Help Desk on 1800 307 551.