Registered clubs, which are clubs with a liquor licence, can operate gaming machines only if they have Gaming Machine Entitlements (GME). You need a GME to operate each gaming machine.

The number of gaming machines you can have at your venue depends on the Gaming Machine Threshold (GMT) for your club.

Your club liquor licence document shows what the GMT allowance is. New liquor licences start with a GMT of zero.

If you want to operate gaming machines you need to follow these 3 steps:

Step 1: Apply and get approval to increase your GMT to the number of gaming machines you want to operate.

Step 2: Get a GME for each gaming machine you want to operate – you can buy entitlements from other clubs or negotiate through a GME broker, as the government is not creating any new entitlements for clubs.

Step 3: Apply for a GME transfer approval once you've made an agreement to buy the GMEs.

​Related links

Running a gaming machine

Gaming machines