​Hotel gaming permits: Step 2

Gaming Machine Thresholds (GMT) and Poker Machine Permits (PMP)

You need a GME or PMP for each gaming machine you operate. The government isn't creating any new entitlements or permits, so you have to buy them from other hotels or negotiate through a GME broker.


GMEs are bought and sold in a 'block' of 2 or 3. Each block sold requires 1 GME to be forfeit.

This means if you buy 3 GMEs, you surrender 1 GME and can operate 2 gaming machines. Buying 2 GMEs allows you to operate 1 gaming machine.

But there is no forfeiture

  • of PMPs

  • of GMEs, if a small country hotel with a GMT of 8 or less transfers 1 GME to another small country hotel once in every 12-month period.

​Related links

Buying a gaming machine

Gaming machines