Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Liquor licences


Change of tenancy

As a licensee, you cannot lease or sub-lease the right to sell liquor for consumption on the premises.

Nor can you lease or sub-lease those parts of your licensed premises where you normally sell liquor or operate gaming machines. You can only sub-lease part of your licensed premises with our approval.

However, if your licensed premises is located in a shopping centre, you can lease or sub-lease a part of your premises where you normally sell or supply liquor – with our approval.

Before you apply

Please make sure you notify local police and your local council. We cannot approve your application before you do this correctly.

How much will it cost?

Refer to the Liquor Fee Schedule to calculate your fee. 

How long will it take?

About 12 to 16 weeks.

Once you lodge a complete application, we'll post it on our Liquor and Gaming Application Noticeboard for 30 days to give the public a chance to comment.

When the 30-day public submission period is over, you can expect us to determine your application within 8-12 weeks.

However, there will be delays if you fail to respond to our requests for information.

What does Liquor & Gaming NSW need?

  • A complete application form and fee
  • A plan showing the area to be let, in relation to the licensed boundary.

We will not consider your application unless it is complete.

Next steps

Apply to AM0570 Lease or sublease licensed premises (PDF, 1MB)