Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Liquor licences


What liquor licence does my business need?

Business types and liquor licences

Your business type and the activities offered in your venue may make you eligible to apply for more than one liquor licence type.  For example, a tapas restaurant could consider applying for an on-premises, small bar or general bar liquor licence.

Licence selector

Understanding and selecting what licence your business or event needs can be a complex and difficult process to navigate. To help you find the most appropriate liquor licence type for your business or event, you can use the licence selector tool.

The tool asks questions about the business or event activities you intend to offer. Depending on your responses, the tool will direct you to the NSW liquor licence type that best fits your needs.

The content of this tool is provided for information purposes only. While every reasonable effort has been made to match activities to a NSW liquor licence category there will be times where no licence is available for the intended activity. For more information about liquor licences visit the Liquor & Gaming NSW website, or use the contact us form

Helpful tips

The following tips may help you navigate your way through the licence selector tool:

  • Have a clear understanding of what your business or event offers as the primary product or service.,For example, will food or alcohol be the primary product?
  • Consider the needs of the business both now and in the future to ensure the licence type  grows with your business

Make sure you read the licence type page and associated fact sheets to confirm the liquor licence suggested fits your business requirements.

Common business types and corresponding liquor licences

Below is a list of common business types and their corresponding liquor licences.

BusinessLiquor Licence Type
Café or restaurant where supply of food is primary purpose of the businessOn-premises –restaurant class
Pub or large bar with more than 100 patronsHotel or general bar
Small bar with under 100 patronsSmall bar
Bottle shopPackaged (Bottle shop and delivery class)
WineryProducer / wholesaler
Registered club, RSL or Diggers Club, golf clubClub
Online alcohol deliveryPackaged (delivery only class)
Single function such as a ball, convention, or sporting event held by non-profit organisationLimited licence – single function
Multiple  functions such as a ball, convention, or sporting event held by non-profit organisationLimited licence – multi-function
Selling or supplying alcohol at a trade fair such as a wine show or a food showLimited licence – trade fair
Selling or supplying alcohol at a temporary or infrequent event such as an annual 4-day arts festival, a V8 supercar race, or an international weekend conference.Limited licence – special event
Catering companyOn-premises - catering class
Vessel On-premises - vessel class

NSW liquor laws have the potential for businesses to customise their liquor licence and apply for an increase in flexibility on how the licence may be operated to allow for conditions such as extended trading hours. This is done by applying for relevant authorisations and exemptions. You can find out more about customising your license on each licence information page.

Need more information?

We provide a range of support that can  guide you on how to apply for, manage or operate a liquor licence in NSW. Using the education and support resources, such as fact sheets  can help you make a decision on what licence to apply for and how to start operating.

If you require further information about liquor licences, you can use our online feedback form.