Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Liquor licences > Which licence do I need?


​General bar licence

    This is a limited type of hotel licence for venues that do not provide gaming machines or sell takeaway alcohol.

    This licence also allows a venue to offer dining, accommodation or public entertainment.

    If patron capacity is less than 100, you may only need a small bar licence.

    Trading hours

    Standard trading hours for a general bar licence are:

    • 5am to midnight Monday to Saturday
    • 10am to 10pm Sunday.

    How much does it cost?

    A general bar liquor licence application costs $700.

    You also pay an annual liquor licence fee plus any applicable loading based on your venue's trading hours.

    Read more about NSW's Annual Liquor Licence Fee.

    Community involvement

    New hotel liquor licences require a Category B community impact statement, which must be prepared at least 30 days before lodging an application.

    All new liquor licences require a community consultation within 2 days of lodging a new licence application.

    How long does it take?

    Applications are not considered until all documentation is submitted.

    After you lodge a complete application, we will post it to our online liquor application noticeboard for 30 days to allow public comment in accordance with the gaming and liquor legislation.

    In most cases, an application will be determined by ILGA within four months of the 30 day public submission period end date.

    More information

    Find out more about a general bar licence from our 

    Next steps

    Make your licence more flexible

    You can tailor a general bar licence to suit your business needs by also applying for relevant licence authorisations and exemptions: