Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Liquor licences > Which licence do I need?


Limited licence - single function

A limited licence for a single function allows a non-profit organisation, like a sports club or community group, to sell alcohol for consumption during a single event (function). This licence does not allow for takeaway sales.

Common functions include:

  • ball
  • convention
  • dinner
  • exhibition
  • fair, fete or carnival
  • performance
  • race meeting
  • sporting event
  • any other event or activity conducted for public amusement or entertainment, or to raise funds for any charitable purpose.

Non-profit groups may be eligible to sell alcohol at up to 6 fundraising functions a year without needing a limited licence. Read more about circumstances where you can sell liquor in NSW without a licence (PDF, 239KB)

A limited licence is also available to organisations for special events like wine and food shows or trade fairs run by for-profit organisations. These licences are a limited licence – special event and limited licence - trade fair.

 What you'll need

  • ABN, ACN or Y/INC for the non-profit organisation
  • evidence of your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) qualifications
  • a plan clearly showing the proposed boundaries for the licensed area and key features, including entry/exit points, bar areas, any adjoining streets and the direction North 
  • if applicable, a copy of development consent or approval allowing the licence at your venue from your local council
  • requested liquor trading hours
  • details about the function and the venue where the function will be held including main purpose, number of guests, estimated quantities of alcohol to be sold, whether entertainment is provided, availability of food and whether any security will be provided and if so how many
  • contact details for you or a person authorised to submit your application
  • if applicable, a completed applicant declaration (TDEC5) (PDF, 177KB)
  • payment.

Who's eligible?

To be eligible for a limited licence for a single function you must be:

  • a non-profit organisation such as a sports club, community group or local council
  • 18 years or older and authorised to lodge this licence application.


​The application fee is $80 if you apply online. 

The application fee is $150 if you apply by email or a posted application.


​Apply online for a limited licence – single function licence and pay an $80 fee. Online applications must be lodged at least 18 days prior to the date of the function/event.

Or, download limited licence – single function application form (PDF, 147KB) and pay a $150 fee. Emailed applications must be lodged at least 28 days prior to the date of the function/event.

What happens next

When your application is lodged, we will put it on the Liquor & Gaming Application Noticeboard for 14 days. The community can then make comments about your application.

 More information

We're here to help. Use our online feedback form to send us your questions, suggestions or feedback.


1300 024 720
(Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm)