Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Liquor licences > Which licence do I need?


Limited licence – special event or trade fair

    This licence allows an organisation to sell alcohol to the public:

    • for consumption at a special event of an infrequent or temporary nature that would have a beneficial social or economic impact at a regional, state or national level
    • for consumption at a trade fair or exhibition at which organisations and businesses in a specific industry can showcase and demonstrate their products and services. This licence also allows takeaway liquor to be sold to the public.

    A limited licence for a trade fair can be issued for a wine show, and for other types of shows that are trade fairs – such as a food show, an agricultural show, a travel show, or an outdoor equipment show.

    You do not need to be a non-profit organisation to apply for these licences.​

    How much does it cost?

    • A limited licence – special event costs $150
    • A limited licence – Trade Fair costs $150.

    ​How long does it take?

    You must lodge your limited licence at least 28 days before the start of the function.

    More information

    ​Find out more about a limited licence for a special event from our Limited licence – special event - fact sheet (PDF, 627KB).​​

    Next steps

    ​Apply using the appropr​iate form, along with any relevant authorisations and exemptions:

    Make your licence more flexible

    You can tailor your limited licence to suit your business needs by also applying for relevant licence authorisations and exemptions: