Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Liquor licences > Which licence do I need?

Limited licence – trade fair

A limited licence for a trade fair allows organisations and businesses from a specific industry to sell or supply alcohol for take away or for consumption at a trade fair or exhibition. 

Examples of what may qualify as a trade fair are:

  • wine shows
  • food shows
  • agricultural shows
  • travel shows
  • outdoor equipment shows.

You can only apply for this licence as an individual.

Large-scale commercial event

From 1 September 2018, if you're applying to sell or supply alcohol at a trade fair that is open to the public and has an anticipated patron capacity of 2,000 or more, you must lodge application form APP561: Large-scale commercial event: trade fair (PDF, 511KB). 

Ensure this application is lodged at least 28 days before the function date to avoid a late fee charge. Consult the Liquor Fee Schedule for application and late fee charges. 

 What you'll need

  • evidence of your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) qualifications
  • a plan clearly showing the proposed boundaries for the licensed area and key features, including entry/exit points, bar areas, any adjoining streets and the direction North
  • if applicable, a copy of development consent or approval allowing the licence at your venue from your local council
  • details about where and when the trade fair will be held and other details such as what liquor, food, entertainment will be available
  • estimated patron attendance at the trade fair
  • if applicable, requested liquor trading hours for consumption on premises and take away sales
  • details of the trade fair venue and business owner
  • contact details for you or a person authorised to submit your application
  • if applicable, a completed applicant declaration (TDEC5) (PDF, 177KB)
  • payment.

Who is eligible

To be eligible for a limited licence for a trade fair you must be:

  • an individual
  • 18 years of older and authorised to lodge this licence application.


​​The licensee and all staff involved in selling, serving or supplying alcohol need to have completed an approved Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) course and hold a valid NSW competency card. 

This requirement also applies to security staff and promotional staff conducting tastings on the premises.

The Liquor Regulation 2018 introduced an additional two compulsory courses for licensees and managers: 

  1. Licensee training 
  2. Advanced licensee training

It is best practice to keep copies of your and your staff’s qualifications in a register on the premises. 


​​The law requires that all types of licensed venues display liquor signs. This includes a number of compulsory signs, depending on which licence and authorisations you have.


Your application costs include:

  • an application fee
  • a non-refundable processing fee.

Use our Liquor Fee Schedule to calculate your fee.


1. Lodge a notice: immediately before submitting your application, or within two working days, lodge the notice that is part of the application form, and a copy of the application, to:

  • the local police station
  • local council or other consent authority
  • any other local council or other consent authority if the boundary is within 500 metres of the premises
  • the Lands division of NSW Department of Primary Industries, if the premises are on Crown land.

2. Complete the application: include the notification in step 1 with your application.

  • Online: - online applications must be lodged at least 18 days prior to the date of the function/event
  • Paper-based: printable form (PDF, 511KB) - emailed applications must be lodged at least 28 days prior to the date of the function/event

Lodging your application online has several advantages:
You receive a 10% discount
The online form easier to complete
It speeds up processing time

Once your application is lodged, we will advertise it on the Liquor & and Gaming Application Noticeboard for 14 days where the community can comment on your application.

You must be 18 years or older and authorised to lodge this licence application.

 More information

We're here to help. 

Use our online feedback form to send us your questions, suggestions or feedback. You can also:

Access the Liquor Act 2007 and the Liquor Regulation 2018 at