Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Liquor licences > Which licence do I need?

​Micro-breweries and small distilleries 12-month trial

From 1 September 2018, a special drink-on-premises authorisation for small-scale producers of beer, cider and spirits will be trialled in Sydney’s Inner West Local Government Area (LGA) for 12 months. 

For eligible micro-breweries and small distilleries with the authorisation, it will mean they can sell their own products to the public for consumption on their premises, not just as tastings. Conditions will apply, including a patron limit of 100 and making sure food is available.

The trial aims to establish a state-wide licensing option suited to the micro-brewery and small distillery model to make it easier for businesses to start up and trade in lower-risk settings. This aims to support the craft brewery and small distillery sector and promote greater venue diversity across NSW. 

The trial has been developed, and will be undertaken and monitored, in close consultation with the Inner West Council and the local industry.

Find out more about the trial - download the Trial of a special licensing option for micro-breweries & small distilleries Fact Sheet (PDF, 366KB)


​There is no application fee for the authorisation for the trial’s duration.

If you’re looking to start a new business, you can apply for the special authorisation at the same time as applying for a new producer/wholesaler licence. 

A standard application fee will apply for the licence itself. The fee for this application is set out in the Liquor Fee Schedule.


Complete the application form:

Once your application is lodged, we will advertise it on the Liquor and Gaming Application Noticeboard for 30 days.

You must be 18 years or older and authorised to lodge this licence application.

 More information

We're here to help. 

Use our online feedback form to send us your questions, suggestions or feedback. You can also:

Access the Liquor Act 2007 and the Liquor Regulation 2018 at