Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Liquor licences > Which licence do I need?


On-premises licence

An on-premises licence allows the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises (venue) when another product or service (such as food or entertainment) is sold, supplied or provided to customers.

If the primary purpose of the business or activity is the sale or supply of alcohol, you are ineligible for an on-premises licence. There are some exemptions relating to an airport or tertiary institution.

Types of businesses that use this licence include:

  • restaurants or cafés
  • live music, arts and cultural event venues
  • cinemas/theatres/art galleries
  • accommodation venues, e.g. bed and breakfasts with more than 8 adult guests, motels etc
  • sporting facilities
  • catering services
  • function centres
  • hairdressers/beauticians
  • karaoke venues
  • airports
  • tourist facilities
  • nightclubs
  • vessels.

liquor licence freeze applies in the Kings Cross (PDF, 267KB) and Sydney CBD Entertainment (PDF, 1.4MB) precincts until 1 June 2019. The majority of businesses that use an on-premises licence are exempt from this freeze, except for venues like nightclubs that play pre-recorded music.

 What you'll need

  • a floor plan showing the proposed boundaries for the licensed area
  • if applicable, a copy of your local council development approval or consent
  • requested liquor trading hours
  • details of the venue owner
  • contact details for you or a person authorised to submit your application
  • if applicable, a completed applicant declaration (TDEC5) (PDF, 177KB)
  • payment.
In some cases you may also need:
  • to talk to your local community about any concerns people may have with your application, if for example you plan on extending trading hours or opening a nightclub, more information is available on the community impact statement page.
If applying as an individual you’ll also need:
If you're applying as an organisation you'll also need:
  • ABN, ACN or Y/INC
  • the names and birthdates of all directors and officeholders (if it is a proprietary company)
  • a current Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract
  • details of an appointed Approved Manager (if applicable).

Who’s eligible?

To be eligible for an on-premises licence you must be:
  • 18 years or older and authorised to lodge this licence application.


​The application fee is $700.

Once you receive your liquor licence you will need to pay an annual fee.

Read more about NSW's annual liquor licence fee and how to calculate your fee.

 Customising your licence

You can tailor your licence to meet your needs by applying for authorisations and exemptions (fees may apply). This table will help you.

Flexible licensing optionsRelevant form
Allows an on-premises licence (other than a vessel) to extend trading hours, or vary extended trading hours already allowed
Extended trading authorisation (PDF, 174KB)
Allows extended trading for a special occasion on a specified date
Extended trading authorisation - special occasion (PDF, 842KB)
Allows minors to attend functions in specified areas
Minors function authorisation (PDF, 122KB)
Allows sale/supply of liquor for consumption on the licensed premises other than with, or ancillary to, another product or service
Primary service authorisation (PDF, 149KB)
Allows an on-premises licence that operates as a catering service or tour operator to sell liquor by retail for consumption on premises which are not their own
Sale on other premises authorisation (PDF, 126KB)
Allows sale of liquor on a vessel at specified times outside the period commencing one hour before the vessel starts a voyage or passage and ending 30 minutes after the voyage or passage is complete
Vessel trading authorisation (PDF, 118KB)
​Allows minors to attend functions in some or all of the licensed premises, (only applicable to an on-premises with "other public entertainment" class)

Minors functions authorisation (PDF, 122KB)

To access other forms for an on-premises licence please visit the licence forms page.


You can receive a 10% discount if you apply online for an on-premises licence.

Or, download a printable on-premises licence application form (PDF, 359KB).

What happens next?

When your application is lodged, we will put it on the Liquor & Gaming Application Noticeboard for 30 days. The community then can make any comments about your application.

 More information

​We're here to help. Use our online feedback form to send us your questions, suggestions or feedback.


1300 024 720 
(Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm)