Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Liquor licences > Which licence do I need?


​Packaged liquor licence

A packaged liquor licence allows alcohol to be sold through a bottle shop, home delivery, mail order or the internet for consumption off the premises (venue).

You may also conduct tastings at your venue, with or without charge.

Standard liquor store trading hours are:

  • 5am to 11pm Monday to Saturday
  • 10am to 10pm Sunday.

These times were amended in 2016 (PDF, 202KB).

Types of businesses that use this licence include:

  • bottle shops
  • liquor stores
  • general stores selling packaged liquor
  • online shops with home delivery alcohol sales.

liquor licence freeze applies in the Kings Cross (PDF, 267KB) and Sydney CBD Entertainment (PDF, 1.4MB) precincts until 1 June 2019. While this freeze is in place certain types of liquor licences, including packaged liquor licences, cannot be granted.

 What you’ll need

If applying as an individual you'll also need:

If you're applying as an organisation you'll also need:

  • ABN, ACN or Y/INC
  • the names and birthdates of all directors and officeholders (if it is a proprietary company)
  • a current Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract
  • inclusion of the appointment of manager notice.

Who's eligible?

To be eligible for a packaged liquor licence you must be:

  • 18 years or older and authorised to lodge this licence application.


​The application fee is $2,000.

Once you receive your liquor licence you will need to pay an annual fee each year.

Read more about NSW's annual liquor licence fee and how to calculate your fee.

 Customising your licence

​You can tailor your licence to meet your needs by applying for authorisations and exemptions (fees may apply). This table will help you.

Flexible licensing optionsRelevant form
Allows trading outside standard trading hours for Sunday morning, from 5am-10am
Extended trading authorisation (PDF, 114KB)
Allows non-metropolitan venues to sell liquor up to 3am on up to 12 occasions annually
Multi-occasion extended trading authorisation (PDF, 154KB)


You can receive a 10% discount if you apply online for a packaged liquor licence.

Or, download a printable packaged liquor licence application form  (PDF, 344KB).

What happens next?

When your application is lodged, we will put it on the Liquor & Gaming Application Noticeboard for 30 days. The community can then can make comments about your application.

 More information

We're here to help. Use our online feedback form to send us your questions, suggestions or feedback.


1300 024 720
(Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm)