Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Liquor licences > Which licence do I need?


Small bar licence

A small bar licence allows the sale of alcohol for consumption on the premises (venue), but does not allow gaming machines or takeaway alcohol. This liquor licence allows for a maximum of 100 patrons (over the age of 18) in your venue during trading hours.

If patron capacity is more than 100, you will need a general bar licence.

Standard trading hours for a small bar licence is midday to 2am Monday to Sunday. Our small bar changes fact sheet provides more information.

 What you'll need

  • notify both NSW Police and the Secretary of the NSW Department of Industry within 2 working days of lodging your development application with your local council
  • a floor plan clearly showing the proposed boundaries for the licensed area
  • if applicable, a copy of your local council development approval or consent
  • details of the venue owner
  • contact details for you or a person authorised to submit your application
  • if applicable, a completed applicant declaration (TDEC5) (PDF, 177KB)
  • payment.

In some cases you may also need:

  • to talk to your local community about any concerns people may have with your application, if you have not yet notified both NSW Police and the Secretary of the NSW Department of Industry, more information is available on the community impact statement page.

If applying as an individual you'll also need:

If you're applying as an organisation you'll also need:

  • ABN, ACN or Y/INC
  • the names and birthdates of all directors and officeholders (if it is a proprietary company)
  • a current Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract
  • inclusion of the appointment of manager notice.

Who's eligible?

To be eligible for a small bar licence you must be:

  • 18 years or older and authorised to lodge this licence application.


​The application fee is $350.

Once you receive your liquor licence you will need to pay an annual fee.

Read more about NSW's annual liquor licence fee and how to calculate your fee.

 Customising your licence

You can tailor your licence to meet your needs by applying for authorisations and exemptions, fees may apply. This table will help you.
Flexible licensing optionsRelevant form
Allows trading outside standard trading hours
Extended trading authorisation for small bars (PDF, 1MB)
Allows extended trading for a special occasion on a specified date
Extended trading authorisation - special occasion (PDF, 842KB)
Allows non-metropolitan venues to sell liquor up to 3am on up to 12 occasions annually
Multi-occasion extended trading authorisation (PDF, 154KB)


You can receive a 10% discount if you apply online for a small bar licence.

Or download the printable small bar licence application (PDF, 1.2MB)

What happens next?

When your application is lodged, we will put it on the Liquor & Gaming Application Noticeboard for 30 days. The community can then make comments about your application.

 More information

We're here to help. Use our online feedback form to send us your questions, suggestions or feedback.


1300 024 720
(Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm)