Liquor and Gaming NSW > Liquor > Serving alcohol responsibly


​RSA requirements in precincts

Kings Cross and Sydney CBD Entertainment precincts

Staff who work in the Kings Cross and Sydney CBD Entertainment precincts must have a valid photo competency card or a valid interim certificate.

The older Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) paper certificates are invalid in these precincts.

RSA ​marshals

An RSA marshal is someone whose role is to make sure venues comply with RSA obligations.

A marshal must have valid RSA certification (training and a competency card).

The supervised trading period is:

  • from midnight until 3am (or until the venue closes) 
  • Fridays, Saturdays, public holiday nights and the night before a public holiday.
​​​Kings Cross p​​recinct requirements

Certain venues in the Kings Cross precincts must employ RSA marshals during supervised trading periods, including:
  • ​​Class 1 subject premises ​must have at least 2 RSA marshals​ during the supervised trading period. This applies to hotels (including general bars), registered clubs and public entertainment venues.
  • Class 2 subject premises must have at least 1 RSA marshal during the supervised trading period. This applies to theatres, karaoke venues and restaurants with a PSA.
​​For more information please refer to FS3045 Special licence conditions for premises in Kings Cross fact sheet (PDF, 473KB)

Sydney CBD Entertainm​​ent precinct requirements

The Secretary, NSW Department of ​Industry may declare that a licensed venue in the Sydney CBD Entertainment Precinct be subject to RSA Marshals​.

At least 1 RSA marshal must be engaged during the supervised trading period. For more information please refer to FS3046 Special licence conditions for premises in the Sydney CBD fact sheet (PDF, 1.3MB)​