Use space to open navigation items

Apply online now

Limited licence – multiple functions

A limited licence for multiple (multi) functions allows non-profit organisations, like sports clubs or community groups, to sell alcohol for consumption at up to 52 functions a year. Alcohol can only be sold and consumed at the function.

Common functions include:

  • balls
  • conventions
  • dinners
  • exhibitions
  • fairs, fetes or carnivals
  • performances
  • race meetings
  • sporting events – weekend match days
  • any other event or activity conducted for public amusement or entertainment, or to raise funds for any charitable purpose.

Non-profit organisations may be eligible to sell alcohol at up to six fundraising functions a year without the need to obtain a limited licence.

Applying tips:

Your application can take longer to review if we don’t have all the details we need to assess it. We will come back to you to obtain the missing information to progress your application. You can help us speed up the process by:

  • Providing all the correct information at the time you apply
  • Responding to our request for missing information as soon as possible after we contact you.

The information below will help you to prepare your application and gather all the necessary materials for your licence. However, if you're ready now...

Apply online

  • ABN, ACN or Y/INC for the non-profit organisation
  • evidence of your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) qualifications
  • a floor plan clearly showing the proposed boundaries for the licensed area and key features, including entry/exit points, bar areas, any adjoining streets and the direction North
  • if applicable, a copy of development consent or approval allowing the licence at your venue from your local council
  • details of the owner of the venue that will mainly be used for the functions
  • details for each function for each day, including the hours when liquor will be sold/supplied,estimated numbers of people attending each function, estimated quantities of alcohol to be sold, whether entertainment is provided  and availability of food
  • contact details for you or a person authorised to submit your application
  • if applicable, a completed applicant declaration (TDEC5) PDF, 173.74 KB (PDF, 177KB)
  • payment.

Download: Forms for a limited licence

Trading hours for a limited licence are determined by L&GNSW. They usually reflect the duration and type of function. Trading is not permitted between 3.00am and 6.00am.

Daily 6-hour closure period

A 6-hour closure period applies to all liquor licences, including those with extended trading hours. It usually starts at 4.00am and ends at 10.00am each day.

You can apply to change the 6-hour closure period:

  • temporarily
  • permanently
  • to different times on different days of the week.

In your application, you need to provide detail on:

  • the current and proposed hours of closure, and why the closing period should be changed
  • the demonstrated or likely needs of patrons
  • the interests of the local community
  • the opinion of local police on the proposal, if any
  • ways you will minimise harm associated with misuse and abuse of alcohol - including harm arising from violence and other anti-social behaviour
  • ways you will promote, sell and supply alcohol safely and responsibly
  • ways the proposal will not detract from the amenity of community life.


The licensee and all staff involved in selling, serving or supplying alcohol need to have completed an approved Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) course and hold a valid NSW competency card.

This requirement also applies to security staff and promotional staff conducting tastings on the premises.

The Liquor Regulation 2018 introduced an additional two compulsory courses for licensees and managers:

  1. Licensee training
  2. Advanced licensee training

It is best practice to keep copies of your and your staff’s qualifications in a register on the premises.

The Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority and/or it’s delegates may impose standard conditions on a liquor licence.

It is recommended you use the Standard Conditions form PDF, 717.84 KB to discuss the conditions with NSW Police prior to lodging your application.

Lodging this form with your liquor licence application will reduce the processing time.

​​​The law requires that all types of licensed venues display liquor signs. This includes a number of compulsory signs, depending on which licence and authorisations you have.

Your application costs include:

  • an application fee
  • a non-refundable processing fee.

Use our Liquor Fee Schedule to calculate your fee.

Licence fees

Pro-rata annual liquor licence fee

A limited licence for multiple (multi) functions is subject to a pro-rata annual liquor licence fee depending on the time of year your liquor licence is granted.

The fee is calculated on a quarterly basis and reflects the amount of time you use the licence before the next billing cycle (on 15 March the following year). Calculate your pro-rata fee.

Annual liquor licence fee

A limited licence for multiple (multi) functions is subject to an annual liquor licence fee, due in May each year. Read more about annual liquor licence fees.

Apply online now

You must be:

  • a non-profit organisation such as a sports club, community group or local council
  • 18 years or older and authorised to lodge this licence application

Apply online

Create a OneGov account to apply online for a new licence or maintain your existing licence online.

Advantages to lodging your application online:

  • you receive a 10% discount
  • the online form is easier to complete
  • it speeds up processing time.

Next steps

Once your application is lodged, we will advertise it on the Liquor and Gaming Application Noticeboard for 30 days. The community can comment on your application, as well as people who were consulted as part of the CIS process, if applicable.

Notification of function dates

Once you have your licence, you must notify local police at least 14 days before you plan to hold your event/s. For annual events you need to notify police each year.

Your initial event/s can be included in your licence application.

We're here to help. 

Use our online feedback form to send us your questions, suggestions or feedback. You can also:

Call: 1300 024 720 | Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm


Access the Liquor Act 2007 and the Liquor Regulation 2018 at