Use space to open navigation items
23 September 2019

New changes making it easier to trade for low-risk businesses in NSW liquor industry

Today, the NSW Government introduced a range of changes designed to make it easier for lower-risk businesses in the liquor industry to start up and trade, and support more diverse licensed businesses.

A special licensing option for micro-breweries and small distilleries has been expanded across NSW.

Micro-breweries and small distilleries across the State are now able to apply for a special drink on premises authorisation to sell their own products to the public for consumption on their premises in full serves, not just as tastings. The authorisation also allows wine produced elsewhere to be sold for consumption on-site.

Conditions apply, including a patron limit of 100 and making sure food is available.

To support initial take-up, existing micro-breweries and small distilleries with a producer/wholesaler licence will be able to apply for the authorisation at no cost until 31 August 2020.

The total costs of licensing a new micro-brewery or small distillery under a producer/wholesaler licence with the special authorisation are also being reduced from $880 to $385, the same as for a small bar.

Eligible areas for the pop-up bars and events licence have been expanded to include the entire City of Sydney, Inner West, City of Parramatta and Liverpool local government areas.

This measure is intended to support a broader range of activations and events that help to revitalise local places and spaces and diversify the night-time economy.

The free small bar licence conversion process has been extended to February 2020. Eligible on-premises and hotel (general bar) licensees can continue to apply to convert their licence to a small bar licence without charge under a streamlined process.

A new exemption to the primary purpose test will enable more efficient food court liquor licensing, allowing the operation of bars designed to service food court patrons under an on-premises (food court) licence.

Qualified interstate workers who want to work in NSW as a licensee only need to complete the NSW Licensee training course to gain NSW RSA competency, and will not need to complete the NSW RSA Bridging course.

More information

The 2019 Liquor Regulation amendments can be found on the NSW Legislation website.

In the meantime, if you have any questions please contact us.