Use space to open navigation items

Micro-breweries and small distilleries authorisation

The Government has introduced a special drink on premises authorisation for small scale producers of beer, cider and spirits.

For eligible micro-breweries and small distilleries with the authorisation, it means you can sell your own products to the public for consumption on your premises in full serves, not just as tastings. The authorisation also allows wine produced elsewhere to be sold for consumption on-site. Conditions apply, including a patron limit of 120 and making sure food is available.

The authorisation was initially introduced on a trial basis in Sydney’s Inner West and Newcastle. Availability has now been expanded across the state.

Businesses with the special drink on premises authorisation will be able to use the authorisation after the trial period ends.

Liquor & Gaming NSW plans to evaluate the special authorisation in 2020 to determine whether any refinements may be needed to further support these small businesses.

Read: Trial of a special licensing option for micro-breweries small distilleries Fact Sheet PDF, 188 KB

Your application can take longer to review if we don’t have all the details we need to assess it. We will come back to you to obtain the missing information to progress your application. You can help us speed up the process by:

  • Providing all the correct information at the time you apply
  • Responding to our request for missing information as soon as possible after we contact you.

The information below will help you to prepare your application and gather all the necessary supporting materials for your licence.

To qualify for this authorisation you need to either be a beer, cider and/or spirits producer with a producer/wholesaler licence, or applying for a new producer/wholesaler licence with the authorisation.

You must have the appropriate development consent and still operate in line with the conditions of consent. If you want to change your conditions, you will need to lodge a development application with your local council.

If you already hold a producer/wholesaler licence you will need the below to apply for the authorisation:

  • a plan clearly showing the proposed boundaries for the licensed area and key features, including entry/exit points, bar areas, any adjoining streets and the direction North
  • proposed liquor trading hours
  • details of the venue and business owner
  • contact details for you or a person authorised to submit your application
  • a completed local consent authority notice
  • a completed police notice
  • a copy of the Site Notice prominently displayed at the proposed licenced premises until you hear the outcome of your application
  • a copy of the Site Notice provided to the occupiers of any building or land within the prescribed distance of the proposed premises

If you do not hold a producer/wholesaler licence you can apply for the authorisation when you apply for the producer/wholesaler licence.

Standard hours

Consumption on premises liquor trading hours:

  • 5.00am to 12.00am from Monday to Saturday
  • 10.00 am to 10.00pm on Sunday

Retail take-away sales of their licensee’s product can be made to the public during the following hours:

  • 5.00am to 12.00am from Monday to Saturday
  • 10.00am to 11.00pm on Sunday

Extended trading authorisation

Provided Council consent is in place, the venue’s consumption on premises liquor trading hours may be extended to 2am.

(Please note: the liquor trading hours for take away sales cannot be extended)

The extended trading authorisation form PDF, 912.49 KB is available.

There is no application fee for the authorisation until 31 August 2020.

If you’re looking to start a new business, you can apply for the special authorisation at the same time as applying for a new producer/wholesaler licence.

What you need to know

This form contains a list of standard conditions which the Independent Liquor & Gaming Authority and/or its delegates may impose if the licence is granted.

Special instructions

The Independent Liquor & Gaming Authority and/or its delegates may impose additional or alternative conditions if warranted. However, the party seeking additional or alternative conditions must demonstrate the need for those conditions.

If you would like to seek alternate conditions, and/or additional conditions, please indicate the relevant condition number, alternative condition text and/or additional condition as well as the reasons in the space provided below the conditions list. You can attach additional information on separate pages if required.

Please attach the completed form to your online liquor licence application at lodgement.

Lodging this form with your liquor licence application will reduce the processing time.

You must be 18 years or older and authorised to lodge this licence application.

You can apply for the authorisation in two ways:

  1. If you do not currently hold a producer/wholesaler licence, you can apply for the authorisation at the same time as applying for a new producer/wholesaler licence. Download and complete the Producer/Wholesaler licence with drink-on premises authorisation – micro-breweries and small distilleries PDF, 1035.53 KB.
  2. If you already hold a producer/wholesaler licence you can apply for the authorisation at no-cost. Download and complete the Drink on-premises authorisation - micro breweries and small distilleries PDF, 835.35 KB

Next steps

Once your application is lodged, we will advertise it on the Liquor and Gaming Application Noticeboard for 30 days. The community can comment on your application, as well as people who were consulted as part of the CIS process, if applicable.

We're here to help. 

Use our online feedback form to send us your questions, suggestions or feedback. You can also:

Call: 1300 024 720 | Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm


Access the Liquor Act 2007 and the Liquor Regulation 2018 at