Use space to open navigation items

Apply online now

Limited licence - single function

A limited licence for a single function allows a not for profit organisation, like a sports club or community group, to sell alcohol for consumption during a single event. This licence does not allow for takeaway sales.

Common events include:

  • balls
  • conventions
  • dinners
  • exhibitions
  • fairs, fetes, or carnivals
  • performances
  • race meetings
  • sporting events
  • other events or activities conducted for public amusement or entertainment, or to raise funds for any charitable purpose.

Selling liquor without a licence

Not for profit organisations may be eligible to sell alcohol at up to 6 fundraising functions a year without needing a limited licence. 
Find out more: Liquor licence exemption for not for profit organisations.

There are also other circumstances where a licence isn't required to sell liquor. 
Find out more: when a liquor licence is not required.

Other limited licences

  • A limited licence - multiple functions is available to not for profit organisations to sell alcohol at up to 52 functions a year.
    Learn more: Limited licence - multiple functions
  • A limited licence - special event is available to organisations who are organising major events that will have significant social or economic impact on the area.
    Learn more: Limited licence - special event
  • A limited licence - trade fair is available to organisations and businesses to sell or supply alcohol at industry specific fairs - for example: wine shows, food shows, travel shows etc.
    Learn more: Limited licence - trade fair

Applying tips:

Your application can take longer to review if we don’t have all the details we need to assess it. We will come back to you to obtain the missing information to progress your application. You can help us speed up the process by:

  • Providing all the correct information at the time you apply
  • Responding to our request for missing information as soon as possible after we contact you.

The information below will help you to prepare your application and gather all the necessary materials for your licence. However, if you're ready now...

Apply online

  • ABN, ACN or Y/INC for the non-profit organisation
  • evidence of your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) qualifications including your Licensee training and Advanced licensee training qualifications where relevant
  • a floor plan clearly showing the proposed boundaries for the licensed area and key features, including entry/exit points, bar areas, any adjoining streets and the direction North
  • a copy of development consent or approval
  • proposed liquor trading hours
  • details about the function and the venue where the function will be held including main purpose, number of guests, estimated quantities of alcohol to be sold, whether entertainment is provided, availability of food and whether any security will be provided and if so how many
  • contact details for you or a person authorised to submit your application
  • if applicable, a completed applicant declaration (TDEC5) PDF, 173.74 KB
  • licence payment fee.

Download: Forms for a limited licence

  • This licence does not allow for takeaway sales.
  • You  need to give local police at least 14 days notice of a proposed function for the area where the function is being held. You can submit your notice online through
  • Liquor may only be sold at a function if the licensee is present or a person nominated by the licensee is present to supervise.
  • There is no restriction on anyone under 18 attending a function held under a limited licence, but they are not eligible to be served alcohol. When granting an application, we may consider restrictions for anyone aged under 18 years, particularly to minimise potential problems at large events.
  • The licensee, supervisors and everyone serving liquor will need to have completed an approved RSA course. This applies to anyone serving liquor in a voluntary capacity as well as any security officers with crowd control duties.
  • Free drinking water must be available.
  • Security or RSA-certified individuals are required to monitor the function for any concerns such as levels of intoxication, anti-social behaviour, underage drinking and ensuring liquor is not taken from the licensced area.
  • Consideration will be given to any submissions made by police, councils and other stakeholders. You will have the opportunity to respond to any submissions or recommendations made by other parties before a decision is made.

Licensees and all staff involved in the selling, service or supply of alcohol need to have completed a Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) course and hold a valid NSW competency card. This requirement also applies to security staff and promotional staff conducting tastings on the premises.

The Liquor Regulation 2018 introduced an additional two compulsory courses for licensees and managers: Licensee training and Advanced licensee training.

It is best practice to keep copies of your and your staff’s qualifications in a register on the premises.

Trading hours for a limited licence are determined by L&GNSW and usually reflect the duration and type of function. Trading is not permitted between 3.00am and 6.00am.

Daily 6-hour closure period

A 6-hour closure period applies to all liquor licences, including those with extended trading hours. It usually starts at 4.00am and ends at 10.00am each day.

You can apply to change the 6-hour closure period:

  • temporarily
  • permanently
  • to different times on different days of the week.

In your application, you need to provide detail on:

  • the current and proposed hours of closure, and why the closing period should be changed
  • the demonstrated or likely needs of patrons
  • the interests of the local community
  • the opinion of local police on the proposal, if any
  • ways you will minimise harm associated with misuse and abuse of alcohol - including harm arising from violence and other anti-social behaviour
  • ways you will promote, sell and supply alcohol safely and responsibly
  • ways the proposal will not detract from the amenity of community life.


The Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority and/or it’s delegates may impose standard conditions on a liquor licence.

It is recommended you use the Standard Conditions form PDF, 717.84 KB to discuss the conditions with NSW Police prior to lodging your application.

Lodging this form with your liquor licence application will reduce the processing time.

The law requires that all types of licensed venues display liquor signs. This includes a number of compulsory signs, depending on which licence and authorisations you have.

Your application costs include:

  • an application fee
  • a non-refundable processing fee.

Use our Liquor Fee Schedule to calculate your fee.

Apply online now

To lodge this application you must be:
  • 18 years or older and authorised to lodge an application
  • a not for profit organisation like a sports club, community group or local council.

Apply online

Create a OneGov account to apply online for a new licence or maintain your existing licence online.

Advantages to lodging your application online:

  • you receive a 10% discount
  • the online form is easier to complete
  • it speeds up processing time.

Next steps

Once your application is lodged, we will advertise it on the Liquor and Gaming Application Noticeboard for 30 days. The community can comment on your application, as well as people who were consulted as part of the CIS process, if applicable.

We're here to help. 

Use our online feedback form to send us your questions, suggestions or feedback. You can also:

Call: 1300 024 720 | Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm


Access the Liquor Act 2007 and the Liquor Regulation 2018 at