Use space to open navigation items

Apply online now

Packaged liquor licence

A packaged liquor licence enables you to sell alcohol to the public, to be consumed away from the licensed premises.

Types of businesses that use a packaged liquor licence:

  • bottle shops
  • supermarkets or general stores with a retail space of over 240 square meters, selling packaged liquor
  • online and mail order businesses where customers do not attend the licensed premises
  • home delivery.

This licence also lets you:

  • sell alcohol to your employees, for consumption off the premises
  • hold tastings on the premises with or without charge.

Alcohol sales area

If you conduct other business on the premises besides selling alcohol, you must sell alcohol in a separate area. For example: in a supermarket, the alcohol sales area and the cash register must be in a different area to the main part of the supermarket.

The sale or supply of alcohol for consumption away from the premises must be the principal activity carried out in the alcohol sales area.

Applying tips:

Your application can take longer to review if we don’t have all the details we need to assess it. We will come back to you to obtain the missing information to progress your application. You can help us speed up the process by:

  • Providing all the correct information at the time you apply
  • Responding to our request for missing information as soon as possible after we contact you.

The information below will help you to prepare your application and gather all the necessary materials for your licence. However, if you're ready now...

Apply online

Packaged liquor licences cannot be granted for:

  • service stations
  • takeaway food shops
  • general stores including: convenience stores, mixed business or milk bars with a retail floor area of 240 square metres or less and used primarily for the sale of groceries. However, an application may be made if there is no other takeaway liquor service available to the public in the neighbourhood, and the grant of the licence would not encourage drink-driving or other liquor-related harm
  • storage units or self-storage facilities.

Liquor Licence Freeze

liquor licence freeze applies in the Kings Cross and Sydney CBD Entertainment precincts until 30 April 2021. While this freeze is in place, certain types of new liquor licences, including hotel licences, cannot be granted.

Precinct maps: 

Community impact statement

Before you apply for a packaged liquor licence, you must prepare a community impact statement (CIS).

A community impact statement (CIS) provides evidence that you’ve advised your local community of your intention to operate a packaged liquor licence, and provides them with an opportunity to provide comment.

This allows us to gauge the level of support for your application.

A Category A or Category B CIS must be completed before lodging your application.

  • Category A: online, mail order and telephone home delivery sales only.
  • Category B: bottle shops, supermarkets, and general stores.

You must:

  • complete your CIS at least 30 days before lodging this application
  • lodge the CIS with the application.


Application Notices:

Once your application is lodged, you will be provided with a Public Site Notice which you will need to affix to your premises until the application is granted. Council and Police will be automatically notified of your application.

A paper form version of the site notices can be downloaded below if you wish to complete them manually at your convenience prior to lodgement of your application.

Standard Conditions Form

Standard conditions form – On Premises, Producer Wholesaler, Small Bar, Packaged Online (Delivery only) PDF, 795.37 KB

What else you need before you apply

  • a floor plan clearly showing the proposed boundaries for the licensed area
  • a copy of your local council development approval or consent
  • requested liquor trading hours
  • details of the venue owner
  • contact details for you or a person authorised to submit your application
  • if applicable, a completed applicant declaration (TDEC5) PDF, 173.74 KB
  • payment for your application
  • a plan of management PDF, 133.45 KB.

If applying as an individual you'll also need:

  • evidence of your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) qualifications, including your Licensee training and Advanced licensee training qualifications,  if appropriate
  • evidence of your Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) qualifications (if applicable)
  • a current National Police Certificate issued within the last three months
  • the three identity documents you used when applying for the National Police Certificate.

If applying as an organisation you'll also need:

  • ABN, ACN or Y/INC
  • the names and birthdates of all directors and officeholders (if it is a proprietary company)
  • a current Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) extract
  • if applicable, inclusion of the appointment of manager notice.

Download: Forms for this licence

​​The licensee and all staff involved in selling, serving or supplying alcohol need to have completed an approved Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) course and hold a valid NSW competency card.

This requirement also applies to security staff and promotional staff conducting tastings on the premises.

The Liquor Regulation 2018 introduced an additional two compulsory courses for licensees and managers:

  1. Licensee training
  2. Advanced licensee training

It is best practice to keep copies of your and your staff’s qualifications in a register on the premises.

Trading Standard hours Extended hours - if permitted 
Monday - Saturday 5.00am - 12.00am (midnight)* Not permitted 
Sunday10.00am - 10.00pm 

5.00am - 10.00am permitted 
Extended trading authorisation   PDF, 859.42 KB

10pm - 11pm on normal Sundays (not Christmas Eve or New Year’s Eve)

10pm - midnight on Sundays that fall on 24 or 31 December.

Christmas DayNot permitted Not permitted 
Good FridayNot permitted Not permitted

Non-metropolitan venues are able to sell liquor up to 3.00am on up to 12 occasions annually: Multi-occasion extended trading authorisation PDF, 845.7 KB

Daily 6-hour closure period

A 6-hour closure period applies to all liquor licences, including those with extended trading hours. It usually starts at 4.00am and ends at 10.00am each day.

You can apply to change the 6-hour closure period:

  • temporarily
  • permanently
  • to different times on different days of the week.

In your application, you need to provide detail on:

  • the current and proposed hours of closure, and why the closing period should be changed
  • the demonstrated or likely needs of patrons
  • the interests of the local community
  • the opinion of local police on the proposal, if any
  • ways you will minimise harm associated with misuse and abuse of alcohol - including harm arising from violence and other anti-social behaviour
  • ways you will promote, sell and supply alcohol safely and responsibly
  • ways the proposal will not detract from the amenity of community life.


​​​The law requires that all types of licensed venues display liquor signs. This includes a number of compulsory signs, depending on which licence and authorisations you have.

Your application costs include:

  • an application fee
  • a non-refundable processing fee.

Use our Liquor Fee Schedule to calculate your fee.

Licence fees

Pro-rata annual liquor licence fee

A packaged liquor licence is subject to a pro-rata annual liquor licence fee depending on the time of year your liquor licence is granted.

The fee is calculated on a quarterly basis and reflects the amount of time you use the licence before the next billing cycle (on 15 March the following year). Calculate your pro-rata fee.

Annual liquor licence fee

A packaged liquor licence is subject to an annual liquor licence fee, due in May each year. Read more about annual liquor licence fees.

What you need to know

This form contains a list of standard conditions which the Independent Liquor & Gaming Authority and/or its delegates may impose if the licence is granted.

Special instructions

The Independent Liquor & Gaming Authority and/or its delegates may impose additional or alternative conditions if warranted. However, the party seeking additional or alternative conditions must demonstrate the need for those conditions.

If you would like to seek alternate conditions, and/or additional conditions, please indicate the relevant condition number, alternative condition text and/or additional condition as well as the reasons in the space provided below the conditions list. You can attach additional information on separate pages if required.

Please attach the completed form to your online liquor licence application at lodgement.

Lodging this form with your liquor licence application will reduce the processing time.

Apply online now

You must be 18 years or older and authorised to lodge this licence application.

Apply online

Create a OneGov account to apply online for a new licence or maintain your existing licence online.

Advantages to lodging your application online:

  • you receive a 10% discount
  • the online form is easier to complete
  • it speeds up processing time.

Next steps

Once your application is lodged, we will advertise it on the Liquor and Gaming Application Noticeboard for 30 days. The community can comment on your application, as well as people who were consulted as part of the CIS process, if applicable.

We're here to help. 

Use our online feedback form to send us your questions, suggestions or feedback. You can also:

Call: 1300 024 720 | Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm


Access the Liquor Act 2007 and the Liquor Regulation 2018 at